[K12OSN] Recomiling a Kernel

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Fri Apr 16 21:46:58 UTC 2004

"Jim Kronebusch" <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:

Again I just want the exact config I have with the addition of module
support for Appletalk, will this be a safe enough way to do so or am I
missing some steps?  Unfortunately I am positive I do not have the
knowledge to compile from scratch and choose all the right options.
<<

Jim, I've written up an article on recompiling the kernel - both from
scratch or just to add a 3rd-party module. You can find the article at
http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/b8ec57204f60dfcb4a2568c60014ed0f/a81f3ecb7cf5028eca256cf2003035ca?OpenDocument

The trick to preserving the configuration of the stock kernel is to copy
the correct .config file from /usr/src/linux-x.yy/configs.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]