language - was Re: [K12OSN] PD for staff

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Sat Apr 17 04:14:28 UTC 2004

Gavin Chester wrote:
> everything that is shortened to INITIALS is repeatedly deemed to be an
> ACRONYM.

LOL  (I couldn't resist)

Seriously, I had no idea that was the case.  In my defense, I'm not an
educator in the official sense, but a technician gone to school employ.

BUT, I must defend my silly little self.  IMHO is in fact an inner-city
self-derogatory term.  (the vowels of course being pronounced as "long"
rather than "short") It can often be heard in counseling centers and
confessionals after unfortunate circumstances that I need not further
discuss.

Also, YMMV is often heard during the enjoyment of caramels and other
sticky desserts.  It is also sometimes uttered when one sips a beverage
that is too hot, but it's often then used with the "AAAAAHHHHHH" suffix.
  As in, "sip....YMMV-AAAAAHHHHHH *spit*"

I hope that clarifies my *proper* use of the language, and I am as
appalled as you with the misuse of the term "acronym"

(man I need sleep)

-Shawn