[K12OSN] RE: OOserver

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Apr 17 16:54:15 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 06:13, Andy Rabagliati wrote:

> > We do this for our 31 station lab. Rsh is utilized between the two
> > boxes on a "closed" loop (crossover cable between the "desktop" server
> > and the "application" server using gigabit).
>
> Why ?
>
> Surely the traffic is between the terminal and the "desktop" server,
> and the terminal and the "application" server ?
>
> Maybe I am mis-understanding something ?

A separate interface would help with the rsh (lack of) security
issue since it is based on IP addresses.  If nothing else is
on the subnet/interface with the permitted address it is
harder to spoof.  Also, if the desktop server holds the
home directories you would probably have that mounted on the
application server through the private connection.

> As an aside, where does window manager traffic come in here ?

It is between the terminal and the desktop server where it
runs.  Personally I think there is a missing concept in
the whole X business, and that is how to display an
application menu from a remote server without running the
whole window manager there.  As things stand, when you
add an application to a server it may add itself to the
local kde/gnome desktop menus, but if you want to execute it
from elsewhere you have to know where it is and hand-configure
a script to run it.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com