[K12OSN] PD for staff (really OO)

Barry Solof barry at yellowdog.com
Tue Apr 20 14:10:13 UTC 2004

>>This always makes me wonder, how did school IT deal with moving, say,
>>from Apple II and the like, to Win3.1 or Mac, back when that transition
>>took place?

We're not running a school network, this network is a local county government.  There are over 50 departments and it seems almost all of them have some specialized application that runs on doze.  We figure only about 20% of all of our computers run without a critial windoze app.

The social issue is almost worse than the technical one, too.  There are departments that will scream and yell if we try to change *anything* they do.  It doesn't matter if we can save tons of money or not, these folks are going to fight any change tooth and nail.

Luckily, the managers and administrators are a lot more open to saving money and tend to force the issue.  But you really have to wait for the right political moment to force change like this because a lot of people resent it.

Frankly, I believe it would be a lot easier to transition away from doze if this was a school.

It would be *fantastic* if we could jump into K12LTSP soon.  It would save so much time and money...

Barry