[K12OSN] About printing

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Fri Apr 23 17:11:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 10:00, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> > > gv postscript_file ...
> > >
> > 	you really think it is a good idea to to use gv to look for blank
> > pages (by visually scanning output?) and then converting the ps to
> > something more editable, removing the blank pages, converting again for
> > print, resubmitting the jobs ..... goodness gracious, what a perfect setup
> > for a bored masochist. the woman wants to *look* at files. maybe she
> > should be replaced by a small script?
> > julius
> >
> > p.s. convering to / from ps tends to hit the processor hard.
>
> Whether something is a good idea or not is a very different issue than
> whether it is technically possible or even difficult.  Postscript
> is only marginally different from pdf format so viewing one makes
> as much sense as the other.  You are right, of course, about replacing
> all possible repetitive jobs with a script. I remember doing something
> like that back in the day when blank pages were just form-feed
> characters or some number of linefeeds and a lot of software sent an
> extra blank page at the end of each job.

Les,
	you make perfect sense when you make distinction between feasible
and advisable. It is possible that i suffer form the "frustrated teacher
syndrome" and give answers that go beyond the direct scope of the
questions, but this one just seemed to cry for help.
	by the way, pdf is just as bad if not worth than ps, so is rtf.
the reason: most printing people do deals with text, so the pretty page
description stuff is just hindrance, and yes, i've been doing a lot of
post-processing of print jobs - it is easier for me, since i have lots of
control over format. julius