[K12OSN] restoring file table

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Apr 27 11:37:59 UTC 2004

I assume you mean he formatted a NTFS partition with ext2/ext3.  I'm
surprised he can recover his XP files at all--he's a very fortunate
person.  Usually this kind of mistake means that your backups had better
be good!

If it were me, and I just felt some pressing need to run Windows XP (I
emphatically don't), I'd backup whatever irreplaceable/important data I
can get off of that partition, boot XP, and reformat that partition,
either VFAT or NTFS.  I would choose VFAT so that GNU/Linux can use the
partition as well; my 12-year-old neighbor next door does this very
thing (he dual-boots W2K and RHL 7.3, and his VFAT partition is where he
stores his data).  Then, I'd copy everything I saved back over and be
much more careful next time.  :-)

--TP