[K12OSN] Student problem

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Apr 28 12:55:43 UTC 2004

You might consider creating an icon on the teacher's desktop that just runs
'tail -f /var/log/cups/page_log'.  This will open a window showing the last few
items that have been printed and by whom.  If you're using KDE, just right-click
on the desktop, choose Create New.../Link to Application, and then give the link
a name that the teacher will understand, and under the Execute tab put the tail
command shown above.  If you're using lpd instead of cups--do a 'ps -ef " and
grep for cups and/or lpd to see which one is running--then you'll want to tail
the appropriate file in /var/spool/lpd/PRINTERNAME/PRINTERNAME.acct.  You may
need to add read permissions on the file for the teacher to be able to see it.

Petre