[K12OSN] Enhancement to squidGuard package to force Google's SafeSearchfeature to be ON

Matt Ross mross at esd165.org
Wed Apr 28 23:03:55 UTC 2004

Hi Eric. I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this has been answered
somewhere already.

I was looking at the email below, and attempted to implement it on my
existing Squid system for my school. Great idea, but I can't figure out
how you got it working...

 >     s@(google.com/search.*q=.*)@\1\&safe=active i

The above line doesn't make sense to me. Here's my problem: How does
"\1\" bring back the requested URL? According to SquidGuard's homepage,
%u should do that trick. But neither works for me, only static
destinations work...

Also, you don't have the third "@", which seems to be required for my
rewrites. Perhaps you are running a different version of squidGuard?
(I'm using Debian's 1.2.0-1 version of squidGuard, FYI.)

If you can give me some hints on why/how this is happening, I'd greatly
appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll probably be writing my own redirector for
this very purpose.

--Matt

Eric Rote:

 >I wrote a patch for squidGuard that enhances the URL re-writting
capabilities.

 >The main purpose of this was to make it possible to force Google's
SafeSearch