[K12OSN] RSH vs SSH (was some other topic)

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Tue Aug 3 12:46:55 UTC 2004

John Simovic wrote:

>Hey SHawn, how are you allowing users to use apps form one server to the
>next? ssh?

I'm actually going to use rsh -- because programs are called from a
private subnet on a separate gig switch (all the servers use that 2nd
NIC for mounting /home or whatever servers need to talk to each other about)

I would use ssh if it was on the public (well, public in my building)
side of the servers.

I am hoping someday to get "local apps" to include the ability to run
apps from other servers -- which would be a much easier way to implement
that kind of setup.  I'm not sure how local apps work now, but it seems
a good method to "tweak" to allow that sort of thing.  ie, instead of
"local" apps, have it use apps from a remote RSH/SSH server...  Who
knows, maybe this idea will tickle Jim's ear, and he'll want to
incorporate the idea into LTSP proper.  ;)

All that said, and I still have not set up the servers to do it, because
HP shipped my dual CPU servers with 1 CPU each...  So I combined all my
CPUs into 2 "full" servers, and I have 2 empty ones waiting for parts...

-Shawn