[K12OSN] RSH vs SSH (was some other topic)

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Tue Aug 3 13:52:59 UTC 2004

>the other to bonded for Network Services (This bit is easy)

lol -- that's the only part that's *not* easy for me. ;)  Haven't
figured out bonded NICs yet...

I just simply bought a gigabit switch, and assigned a 192.168.x.x
address to one NIC from each server.  (my "public" range is a 10.
network)  I mount /home via NFS, but for the address use always the
192.168 address.  I plan to pipe all the rsh/ssh traffic on that switch
too, to save the load on the "public" side of my LTSP server.  So
basically, when I set up the application, instead of calling the app via
the 10. address, I'll call it via the 192.168 address, and the traffic
will go on that switch.

(NOTE:  When I say public and private, it's not like the standard LTSP
setup -- I don't have a private network that all my clients are behind
like the standard install, but rather my services are split up over
several servers, and my entire district is in the same network segment,
whether they are LTSP or standard desktops...  Sorry if that confuses
anyone)

So far, this setup seems very slick.  It's still not the perfect
solution for scaling, because even splitting up the apps will have it's
limit (ie, what about when 1 server can't handle openoffice for
everyone...)  My only thought when that time comes is some sort of
round-robin or load-balanced DNS entry for what server to connect to.
It's been discussed on this list in the past, but there's not a
definitive way to do it.  Ideally, plopping another server into the mix
to scale would be nice -- but in practicality, it's not that simple.  Yet.

-Shawn