[K12OSN] Dynamic IP Mail routing, Was:RHEL Follett help?

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Tue Aug 3 17:08:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 09:49:44AM -0700, Eric Harrison wrote:
> > From: Caleb Wagnon <cwagnon at bryantschools.org>
> > Hey Doug...I've got a favor to ask. Can you post this message I've
> > forwarded to you to the K12osn? And if you would...they have blacklisted
> > our bryantschools.org mailserver so I can't post...maybe ask about that
>
> A lookup on the IP address of your mail server shows that you are on a
> consumer DSL line. It is a common practice not to accept email from
> DSL/dial-up/Cable Modem IPs.

Eric's right, Caleb.  You have a Dynamic IP address and all the large
ISP's and many others simply won't allow any SMTP connections from
dynamic IP addresses.  I had the same problem for kinz.org.

If you don't have a dynamic IP, then somehow your ISP has messed up
cause your IP address is in the Dynamic IP address lists, start
complaining to your ISP right away!

There is a workaround that may help. If you are using sendmail place a
line like this one in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:

define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.comcast.net')dnl

Replace "smtp.comcast.net" with the email gateway of your ISP
(smtp.swbell.net maybe?).

Then run make in that dir, and restart your sendmail server.

You may find that your ISP uses "throttling" on their email gateway,
but you should be able to convince them to un-throttle you if you are a
legitimate school, and most especially if you really have a static IP.

--
Our father, which art in Redmond, Monopoly be thy name.
Thy empire come, thy OS never done, shipping as it is in development

Give us this day, our daily bug And forgive us address violations
as we forgive those viruses that trespass against us

Lead us not unto competition but deliver us from Choice
For thine is the license, the revenue and the greed forever. Amen

Linux and Open Source.  The New Base.

Now All your base belongs to you, for free.