[K12OSN] RSH vs SSH (was some other topic)

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Aug 3 18:41:26 UTC 2004

This isn't a how-to, but to setup using ssh each user will need to have
a home directory on the app server and an ID identical to the one on the
terminal server.  It would probably be worthwhile to look into NIS or
LDAP and NFS for this to keep the IDs, PWs, etc. in sync between the
terminal server and the app server.  Assuming that's working, each user
needs a ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 file on the app server--see
http://www.arches.uga.edu/~pkeck/ssh/ for a how-to on setting up public
keys with ssh (skip step #5).  This will allow one to ssh to the app
server without needing a password and ssh will automagically set the
DISPLAY variable. Make sure the permissions on the user's home directory
and .ssh directory are each set to 600, or it won't work.  Once you've
got that authorized_keys2 setup, try running, say, 'ssh appserver ls' on
the terminal server; if you get a directory listing, you're in business;
if not, check the log files of both machines.  Then try 'ssh appserver
mozilla' or some other graphical app, and it should automatically appear
on the thin client.

Hopefully, this will at least point you in the right direction.

Petre