[K12OSN] Programming Challenge...help? Samba-LDAP password changing

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Wed Aug 4 22:17:58 UTC 2004

Ok folks,

I can figure a lot of things out, but I have to admit my GUI scripting
skills are slim to none.  So...I'm posing a challenge to anyone who feels
up to it.  What I need to do is allow my kids a way to change their
password in Samba/LDAP using their linux terminals.  Granted I could teach
them to do it in the terminal, but I'd rather not...especially for the
little ones.  The command is easy...it is

smbldap-passwd username    (username is the one you want to change the
password for...ex:  smbldap-passwd dtrask)

then you are prompted to enter a new password twice

What I'd like to see...is a GUI interface where a kid can click on an
icon....a dialog pops up asking for their current usename and password and
then prompts them for a new password.  I can teach them how to use
smbldap-passwd, but there's nothing to stop them from changing someone
else's password.  Usermin will not work with LDAP (at least for me it
won't)  I'm open to ideas and alternatives if anyone has any.  Ironically
the password is easy to change using Windows....CTRL-ALT-DEL and select
"Change Password", but in Linux it's much more challenging...and I need to
address that.  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School