[K12OSN] Upgrade advice?

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 03:17:32 UTC 2004

I tried doing an upgrade recently, but ended up doing a full
reinstall.  I'd backup all of /etc and /var/www (and /var/lib/mysql,
if applicable).  If /home isn't already a separate partiion, I'd
recommend making it one when you do the reinstall.

If you're running a mail server, you want to make sure that you have
sendmail and/or your network connection disabled until you're "sure"
that you have mail configured (aliases, any virtual hosts, etc).  Then
turn on networking.  Then turn on sendmail.  Then 'tail -f
/var/log/maillog' and be ready to stop sendmail again when you
realized you've screwed up.  At least, that's what I always do.