[K12OSN] [OT] mysql problem

Aaron Leininger aleininger at ttsd.k12.or.us
Thu Aug 5 15:52:32 UTC 2004

I know this is not entirely on topic but I could use some advice. I was
trying to setup mysql on a redhat 8.0 box yesterday night. I downloaded and
installed the RPM for the latest stable version from mysql.com and things
were peachy. I then tried to change the root password as suggested and ever
since then, I get all sorts of access denied errors. I tried to uninstall
mysql (rpm -e) and I was told it wasn't installed!? I reran the install and
it tells me it's already installed!!? I tried adding the --force command to
re-install and it looks like it is re-installing something but the access
denied errors continue. Beyond that, it appears that there are missing files
here and there. I am hardly a pro at this so I am a bit confused as to what
is exactly going on here. Can someone please tell me how to completely
uninstall and re-install mysql from scratch?

Thank you,
Aaron