[K12OSN] Re: Re: Bandwidth requirements

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Aug 5 18:32:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 13:05, Daniel Jacobs wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Brian. Point taken, but I still would like to know
> the bandwidth requirements.
> We are situated in Alberta Canada, and here the government is
> connecting all government facilities(schools included) with a high speed
> fiber optic network. Our schools will be linked with a 10mb half duplex
> minimum(funded by the government). There is an option to upgrade this
> service to a higher bandwidth at the school's cost. The head end will
> have at least a 20 mb feed.
> I guess I want to just know if this is going to be sufficient because
> it has already been decided to put this ltsp cluster in place.

We've seen people on the list mention that 100M interfaces are barely
enough to drive 30 client machines from one server and that they see
a big improvement from changing to a gig uplink between server and
switch.  Your WAN link is going to be an equivalent bottleneck but
for all clients, not just those connected to a single server.  I'd
take the 100M per 30 clients as a minimum.  Wouldn't it have been
a good idea for the people making the decision to ask about the
requirements first?

----
   Les Mikesell
     les at futuresource.com