[K12OSN] another bandwidth question

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman at relaxpc.com
Thu Aug 5 23:08:08 UTC 2004

I'm setting up some k12ltsp boxes in a school.  I'm a university professor
who's offering free computers and at least some free support.  (I still
feel a little like I'm saying "I'm from the Government and I'm here to
help.") The tech guy, who has a reputation for not being very helpful, has
been fairly accommodating (I'd be suspicious of someone putting stuff on
my network too).

His plan is to light up one network port per classroom.  No problem, I
say, the server (I'm planning to use the teacher workstations as
servers for about 5 thin-clients) will use the only connection & all the
other computers will still be able to surf the web even though they're not
on the school's network.  "I'll not have it" is the reply.  His concern is
that if people are actually using the Internet the T1 will get saturated.

I've already considered things like Squid & doing bandwidth limiting and
such & will propose those "solutions" when the time comes.  (I suggested a
proxy server to which he said he was using NAT, so it's not clear that he
understands a caching proxy server.)  My question is, "how many users will
a T1 typically support?"  Do many schools have a fatter pipe than a T1?

Jay Pfaffman                           pfaffman at utk.edu
Asst Professor of Instructional Technology, U. TN, Knoxville
http://learn.coe.utk.edu/~pfaffman/
+1-865-974-0497 (W)                    +1-865-898-0497 (M)