[K12OSN] Using NT Domain Accounts on Clients

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Sat Aug 7 00:40:11 UTC 2004

Hello all,
    I'm quite new to the whole Linux scene, but I've been playing around
with a "training wheels" server I set up in my office for a month or so
now.  I've got students coming back to school in a week, and I have my
"real" server, all shiny and new, sitting on my desk waiting to be set
up.  One of the things I haven't been able to get going yet, though, is
fully integrating my K12LTSP server into my Windows NT domain.  At one
point I did manage to login with DOMAIN+USERNAME and PASSWORD, but then
I got some error message about not having a "home" directory available.
(Sorry, I don't remember the exact message.)  So, I have two questions
(well, actually about 200, but I'll stick with these two for now).  Is
there a way to set the server up so that I don't need to preface the
user name with the name of the NT domain?  i.e. make the terminal login
"feel" just like the NT login?  And, is there a way to get my users
"home" directories to map to their existing NT shares?  I've read
something about pam_mount, but I never found a tutorial that I could
understand to make it work.  Does anyone have config files (preferably
heavily commented for a novice like myself) that I could just drop into
my system and get this going?  Does it even work that way?  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--

C-ya,
Mark