[K12OSN] Using NT Domain Accounts on Clients

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Sat Aug 7 01:43:27 UTC 2004

>         I'm really supposed to be studying for my CCNA exam Mon... but
>         as a quick answer you'll want to use security = domain, and
>         the server entry to go with it, in the smb.conf file. This
>         will point requests to your NT domain server.
>
>         Are you talking about windows boxes mounting user directories
>         from the K12LTSP server? If so, that's a logon script thing. I
>         think you have to create a share called netshare, place a
>         batch script in there and do some other things.
>
>         That's mostly directions to start looking for now. Not real
>         clear though cause I should be studying... :-)
>
>         JSR/
>

>     No, I want for my students to be able to log onto the thin clients
>     using their existing NT user accounts, and for their home
>     directories to be redirected back to the NT server. Is that clear?
>

> Where are the home directories coming from? I think I'm now
> understanding that they are coming from the NT Server. I'm going to
> guess that should be possible, but I'd highly recommend making
> yourself another SAMBA file server, sharing the users directories to
> the LTSP server via NFS and then you'd be done. This is the standard
> method of going about it. I'm going to guess with all those SMB drives
> mapped to the LTSP server things could get messy. You'd probably also
> want to make sure that a cron job killed them off after a period of
> inactivity or something if you make it happen.
>
> Setting up a seperate SAMBA/NFS file server doesn't take much work if
> you have the hardware and would be worth it. Backups could be easily
> performed to the current Domain/File Server nightly.
>
> If all else fails, you can teach the kids to use the smbmount command
> and mount the SMB share from the file server to a directory in their
> Linux directory. That's pretty easy really and could even be scripted.
>
> One thing to remember if you mount their home directories as their
> home directories in Linux, when they open them in Windows they'll have
> stacks of the .file and .directories that don't show up in Linux
> holding their settings together.
>
> JSR/

Ok, maybe it would help if I described my current situation in a bit
more detail.  I have about 500 WinNT/2K/XP clients accessing a
well-established NT domain.  All 800+ users have accounts on the domain
and user shares distributed by campus (all Elementary users are on one
server, Middle School on another, etc.)  I'm wanting to set up one
thin-client lab at the High School as sort of a "proof of concept" for
the upper administration.  The logon process has to be as seamless as
possible, or the teachers will get frustrated (I'm not worried about the
kids) and the whole project will be scrapped.  So, I need for the users
to be able to sit down at a terminal, enter their user name and
password, and have ready access to their files.  I'm pretty sure from
what I've read that this can be done, but I just haven't been able to
get my Microsoft-indoctrinated head around the process, and time is
running out on me.

C-ya,
Mark
____
"We may affirm absolutely that nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion." -- Hegel