[K12OSN] Using NT Domain Accounts on Clients

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Sat Aug 7 01:58:22 UTC 2004

Mark Cockrell wrote:
> Ok, maybe it would help if I described my current situation in a bit
> more detail.  I have about 500 WinNT/2K/XP clients accessing a
> well-established NT domain.  All 800+ users have accounts on the domain
> and user shares distributed by campus (all Elementary users are on one
> server, Middle School on another, etc.)  I'm wanting to set up one
> thin-client lab at the High School as sort of a "proof of concept" for
> the upper administration.  The logon process has to be as seamless as
> possible, or the teachers will get frustrated (I'm not worried about the
> kids) and the whole project will be scrapped.  So, I need for the users
> to be able to sit down at a terminal, enter their user name and
> password, and have ready access to their files.  I'm pretty sure from
> what I've read that this can be done, but I just haven't been able to
> get my Microsoft-indoctrinated head around the process, and time is
> running out on me.

Ah, that's bigger than I was picturing and obviously you can't move
stuff around as I was suggesting. I'm not familiar enough with what
you're doing to provide the steps you need. I'm sure someone else around
here can help, but they might not check the list until Mon. when they
get back to work.

Looking just at the config, this page might help out. Problem is it's in
  Italian, except the configs, and I don't know Italian.
http://homes.stat.unipd.it/mmzz/Papers/NewVserver/samba3.html

JSR/