[K12OSN] Plural of Virus (was Antivirus program for Linux)

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Wed Aug 11 16:42:58 UTC 2004

Jeff Kinz wrote:

> Henry - you can fix your email client so it quotes properly, see:
> outlook express: http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> To fix Outlook: http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

Very useful.  Thanks.  I'm tired of having to manually rearrange mail.

> Both virus and viri are correct and will be understood. (despite my
> enormous respect for Rick Moen)
>
> Viri may be better because its shorter.
>
> Correct language usage is always determined by common usage and common
> usage is always, everchanging.

While in time misspellings may come into common usage and become "correct" I
don't think we're there yet with viri.  Also, the source of "common usage"
may matter here.  If "common usage" were the only criterion and if email and
Usenet were a significant source of "common usage" then the distinction
between they're/their/there, to/too, its/it's, etc. would have disappeared
long ago.  They have not.  The proper plural of virus is viruses.  Viri is
not correct and won't be for some time (if ever).  Understandable, yes.
Correct, no.

> One of my favorite quotes:
> "If anybody ever tells you that you're using the language incorrectly,
> just yell 'prescriptive grammarian!' at the top of your voice and all
> the linguists in the building will run over and surround the guy' and
> then they'll rough him up."

Words matter.  What you say and how you say it will determine how you are
judged by others.  You don't have to like it but using words correctly pays
in the end.  In an old Dilbert (as best I can remember) Dilbert is
explaining how language changes and says that if enough intellectuals use a
word incorrectly long enough it becomes common usage and then is considered
correct.  Dogbert replies that what we need is smarter intellectuals.

--
Henry