[K12OSN] Re: bootable nic (intel 1000 mt)

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 11 19:20:10 UTC 2004

Hello,

> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:48:52 -0400
> From: Jeff Kinz <jkinz at kinz.org>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] bootable nic
> To: k12osn at redhat.com
>
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 06:36:36AM -0400, Mark Gumprecht wrote:
> > What is a bootable nic that works out of the box? I ordered 10 intel
> > 1000mt cards that start to boot then kernel panic because they seem
> > to lose themselves. I'm sure there is a solution, but time is short!
> > I'm running 3.1.2 Thanks

I have about 50 of these Intel Gigabit cards. They were giving me
problems on client boot (the would stop loading after trying to
access the kernel on the server) until I specified in the DHCPD.conf
file that they have to use the new linux kernel which has support for
them built in. I don't have access to the server and the code now,
but that is the solution. Once you enter their MAC address into that
file, specify they need the 2.6 series kernel, restart the DHCP
service, they boot up fine.

I'm sorry this isn't more detailed - first time I've tried to provide
help for someone here! :) If you want more info, let the list know
and I'll try to check it out on the server next time I'm there.

Thanks,
Joseph