[K12OSN] Linux client file shareing protocols

Jamie jamie at listserv.newberg.k12.or.us
Wed Aug 11 21:52:42 UTC 2004

We're setting up some Fedora core 2 stand alone clients for teachers to
use on their desktops. They all have home directories on one of our
file servers. I really hate to share these via NFS with the security
concerns of NFS (exporting the /data/staff/ directory to our entire
subnet where we could get a malicious user switching UIDs to delete
other peoples files etc).

So i am wondering how you guys do it? Is this a legitimate security
concern? Could i somehow auto-mount the users volumes via smb? I would
like to not have the users home folder local, but rather located on the
server.

Any ideas?

Jamie McParland
Newberg Public Schools