[K12OSN] Linux client file shareing protocols

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Aug 11 22:40:42 UTC 2004

Jeff Kinz said:
> I'm not sure I get the problem.

I can help define the problem...  If Joe Schmo brings in his laptop
running linux, and mounts the server's /home export -- he has full access
to the entire thing.  Since he has root on his laptop, he can make any
account id he wants.  Scary stuff.

I was curious about the replies other have too.  My solution was to have
thin clients, and my servers get the /home export via a "network
backplane" that has all servers connect to a private network on a second
switch -- so no one has access (even physical access) to the /home export.

You could set up user mounts inside their home directory that are SMB
mounts for document storage.  Their other files (ie, dotfiles, etc) would
be local, but they could be taught to save in the network share...  Not
elegant, and kludgy, but it could work in a pinch...

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director
spowers at inlandlakes.org
http://techcorner.inlandlakes.org

The views, opinions, visions, thoughts, comments, sarcastic whims,
forecasts, poetic outbursts, cynical wit, future plans, implementation
ideas, OS preference, curricular insight, ice cream preference, or
anything else I might infer are not the views of Inland Lakes Schools.
Pretty much everything I say, do, think, or imply with punctuation should
be considered my own delusions, and ignored completely.