[K12OSN] Application Server Question

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Thu Aug 12 00:31:10 UTC 2004

If I am correct, if I use ssh or rsh to launch a remote app from a remote
application server, the network traffic still pipes through the LTSP
server.  Is this correct?  This effectively takes the CPU and RAM load off
the LTSP server, but still degrades it's network performance, right?

That said, is there a way to get the local thin client to directly call an
application via ssh or rsh so that all the traffic doesn't funnel through
the LTSP server?  I don't want "local apps" -- I want to call apps from a
second "Application Server" directly to the thin client without passing
all the traffic through the LTSP server.

Or is the traffic no more than the remote X session itself?  ie, once I
have a session from the LTSP server on my thin client, do additional
applications add more bandwidth?  I assumed they did, but perhaps I'm
wrong.

Thanks for any insight,
-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director
spowers at inlandlakes.org
http://techcorner.inlandlakes.org

The views, opinions, visions, thoughts, comments, sarcastic whims,
forecasts, poetic outbursts, cynical wit, future plans, implementation
ideas, OS preference, curricular insight, ice cream preference, or
anything else I might infer are not the views of Inland Lakes Schools.
Pretty much everything I say, do, think, or imply with punctuation should
be considered my own delusions, and ignored completely.