[K12OSN] play dvd? (xposted to k12list and scosug)

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Aug 12 04:31:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, anthony baldwin wrote:

>anthony baldwin wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Someone broke into my home last wednesday and stole my iBook (and a
>> jeweled dagger..and don't get me started on the data I lost...all my
>> curriculae from last year, which I had backed up to the school's
>> network, but not elsewhere, and I've left that school, and it was all in
>> appleworks formats.).
>> The iBook was my only dvd player, ,so I purchased a samsung dvd/cdrw
>> drive and installed it on my Fedora 1 based K12box (k12 4.0.1).
>>

>> Anyway, when I insert a dvd, it mounts at /mnt/cdrom.  I can burn cds on
>> this drive and it reads the dvd, but I seem to be unable to play the
>> dvd.  I tried with xine and mplayer.  Do I need to mount it at /mnt/dvd?
>>  I tried to create a directory in /mnt for that,  but then received a
>> msg that there was no entry in /etc/fstab...so I tried to make one, but
>> did not know what values to give it (someone want to share theirs?).
>>
>> I was also confused what decoder/codec thingy to use in mplayer, sine
>> there are about 30 to choose from.
>> I'd like to play my dvds.  Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>Okay, since then I learned that I need a /dev/dvd entry, so I did this:
>
>ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd
>
>But still, I don't know how to play the darned things.
>I can now mount the dvd at /mnt/dvd.
>If I open the dvd in konq I can see these .vob files, ,and I right click
>and choose "Open with" and either Xine or Mplayer.
>the program (either one) will open and show a blank screen for about .5
>seconds, then stop.  Xine will crash.  Mplay er show me a gui, with a
>nice mplayer splash in the viewer screen.
>
>Am I getting warmer?
>
>Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

The *.vob files are encrypted, they have to be decrypted before you
can view them.

For non-US citizens, there is a Yum repository at livna.org that
contains the necessary software. Add this to your /etc/yum.conf

	[livna-non-us]
    name=livna-non-us
    baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/1/i386/yum/stable/

and then run:

	yum install libdvdcss

You might also need to yum install libdvdnav & libdvdread as well.

I've never used xine or mplayer, but I know that ogle is easy to
use (yum install ogle ogle_gui). Just fire up ogle and select File ->
Open disc

-Eric