[K12OSN] play dvd? (xposted to k12list and scosug)

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Fri Aug 13 01:46:18 UTC 2004

anthony baldwin wrote:

> Okay, since then I learned that I need a /dev/dvd entry, so I did this:
>
> ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd
>
> But still, I don't know how to play the darned things.
> I can now mount the dvd at /mnt/dvd.
> If I open the dvd in konq I can see these .vob files, ,and I right click
> and choose "Open with" and either Xine or Mplayer.
> the program (either one) will open and show a blank screen for about .5
> seconds, then stop.  Xine will crash.  Mplay er show me a gui, with a
> nice mplayer splash in the viewer screen.
>
> Am I getting warmer?
>
> Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

problem solved.
I linked /dev/dvd to /mnt/dvd,  mounted the dvd and did
% mplayer dvd://
I did have to change the xserver setting on mplayer, but then it worked
fine.
Now I have to buy a bigger monitor (got 15 inches only here)...
Like after tax refund time, or something....

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net