[K12OSN] Trouble booting PPC clients

Brad Smith usernamenumber at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 05:05:19 UTC 2004

I'm doing some volunteer work for a local school who's got a bunch of
old PowerMac G3s that they're willing to try out as ltsp machines.

I've followed the instructions here:

http://www.k12ltsp.org/mac/LTSPppc.txt

but to no avail. I copied the mklinux bootloader and kernel into the
extensions folder and I set up my dhcp server to have the mac mount
/opt/ltsp/ppc instead of /opt/ltsp/i386 (this wasn't in the
instructions but seemed necessary). The kernel seems to start to boot,
but then just stops. The last few lines of output are:

MMU:exit
setup_arch: enter
setup_arch: bootmem

It doesn't even seem to do a DHCPREQUEST.  The doc does say something
about recompiling the kernel if you don't have an nbus-pmac, but not
being a mac person I don't know what that is or how to tell if I have
one. =:\

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Brad