[K12OSN] Network problems w/4.1.0

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Tue Aug 17 02:16:07 UTC 2004

Jim,

I suspect the problem is with the 2.6 kernel.

Anyway, rather than just trying cards and cables at random,
lets take a more informed approach.

Unplug your internal LAN cable, and just leave the external lan cable
plugged in.

Then, try this:

   mii-tools eth0

and see if it reports that the link is up or not.

Also, try:

   mii-tools eth1

See what it says.

Only one of those should report that a cable is plugged in.

This is how you can identify which nic is which.

So, now you can plug the right cable into the right nic.

Once you've got the right cable in the right nic, now you can make sure
that the IP addresses are getting assigned the way you expect.

Let's say eth1 is supposed to be the external nic.  Is it using dhcp to
get an address ?  Or, are you assigning a static IP address.

What about the default route ?  Is that being set properly (either
statically or via dhcp).

Show us what the output of 'netstat -rn' shows.

At this point, you should at least be able to ping the router.

Back to eth0, is the interface getting set with the correct IP address ?
If so, try booting a thin client from it, and see what happens.

Try running:   tcpdump -i eth0
and see if you see any traffic when booting.

Also, try popping into the #ltsp IRC channel on irc.freenode.net, and we
can work with you interactively.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org