[K12OSN] Linux viruses

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Aug 17 12:48:55 UTC 2004

Just a heads up to those of you not running antivirus on your Linux
machines because you think you are safe since there aren't viruses on
Linux.  I just looked through my update logs today from our MDaemon mail

server.  I found an update for this virus Trojan.Linux.Rootkit.s, so I
researched it and found that it comes across disguised as a .mp3 and
deletes the users entire home directory when executed.  So a little
nervous I ran some other Google searches and came across this post in
another forum:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/fulldisclosure/2004-01/0554.html
Look a few of them up and I'll bet we see more discussion on Linux virus

scanners.

That said, I'll ask again if there are any suggestions for a real time
virus scanner for Linux file servers that anyone can suggest to me.  I
want to be sure users are unable to upload any files from any OS be it
Windows, Mac OS, or Linux to the server without first being scanned.  I
do have ClamAV loaded but that seems to require a manual scan on my
part,
it isn't triggered on file upload.

Thanks

Jim Kronebusch