[K12OSN] Network problems w/4.1.0

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Aug 17 13:49:43 UTC 2004

> I suspect the problem is with the 2.6 kernel.
>
> Anyway, rather than just trying cards and cables at random,
> lets take a more informed approach.
>
> Unplug your internal LAN cable, and just leave the external
> lan cable plugged in.
>
> Then, try this:
>
>    mii-tools eth0
>
> and see if it reports that the link is up or not.
>
> Also, try:
>
>    mii-tools eth1
>
> See what it says.
>
> Only one of those should report that a cable is plugged in.
>
> This is how you can identify which nic is which.
>
> So, now you can plug the right cable into the right nic.
>
> Once you've got the right cable in the right nic, now you can
> make sure that the IP addresses are getting assigned the way
> you expect.
>
> Let's say eth1 is supposed to be the external nic.  Is it
> using dhcp to get an address ?  Or, are you assigning a
> static IP address.
>
> What about the default route ?  Is that being set properly
> (either statically or via dhcp).
>
> Show us what the output of 'netstat -rn' shows.
>
> At this point, you should at least be able to ping the router.
>
> Back to eth0, is the interface getting set with the correct
> IP address ? If so, try booting a thin client from it, and
> see what happens.
>
> Try running:   tcpdump -i eth0
> and see if you see any traffic when booting.
>
> Also, try popping into the #ltsp IRC channel on
> irc.freenode.net, and we can work with you interactively.

Thanks Jim,
    I will try your suggestions.  Unfortunately some things have came up
here again and I have to put this on hold for a couple of days.  I have
seen the #ltsp IRC suggested in the past, but how do I join/use it?

    Also I have determined definitely which card is eth1 and which is
eth0, since they are both different brand cards right now I just checked
the network properties in the gui to see which card had which settings.
The LNE100TX is set for 192.168.0.254 to offer DHCP to the internal
network, and the Intel Pro100 is set to DHCP waiting for an IP from the
external network (I have also tried static).  I have plugged each cable
in individually and tested with ping.  Nothing I do gets me past the
NIC's.

    But just shoot me info on how to get to #ltsp IRC and I will just
jump on when I try my next attempts.

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
507-453-5188