[K12OSN] DNS resolve

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Fri Aug 20 12:41:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 08:28, Kevin Verheyen wrote:
> I'll check the knoppix file tomorrow, am on holiday today

Or at least you're supposed to be. :-)

I think I saw you ask for an explanation of the /etc/resolv.conf file in
one of your past emails and I haven't seen a response to that yet...

You should have a manual page under the command 'man resolv.conf'.

The most important part of that files is this attribute and description:

"  nameserver: Internet  address  (in dot notation) of a name server
that the resolver should query.  Up to MAXNS (currently 3) name servers
may be listed, one per keyword. If  there are multiple servers, the
resolver library queries them in the order listed.  If no nameserver
entries are present, the default is to use the  name server on the local
machine.  (The algorithm used is to try a name server, and if the query
times out, try the next, until out of name servers,  then  repeat trying
all the name servers until a maximum number of retries are made.)"

JSR/