[K12OSN] *sigh* FC2 issues

Andrew adfour at mtaonline.net
Sat Aug 21 06:09:50 UTC 2004

It was the whitebox port that got me thinking. I had probs with fc1, too
(no smp for my smp lab, remember?!). My issue is my personal experience
with fedora, nothing but. I don't dispute that it is all fixable, I
just, I dunno, lost enthusiasm for fedora. It might just be
philosophical-- for example the very light knoppix based UNESCO
(freeduc) ed. distro shows some interesting possibilities. But.. debian
is not the only distro.  If a deal with the devil is needed to get any
linux into your system, the powers that be might be  more easily
mollified with SuSe.   I guess I 've concluded that fedora  is
permanently "not ready for primetime" by design.  This is not
necessarily a bad thing,  just something I don't feel like dealing
with...  like hours spent trying to get a display manager working
-somebody probably should, but I sure don't enjoy it.
-AF