[K12OSN] LTSP on same network as Windows

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Sat Aug 21 20:46:30 UTC 2004

If you have the cabling, I would separate the K12LTSP network from the rest of
the school's network and run 2 NICs on the server.  I echo the Gig comments.
Set the "public" side of your server to a static IP on your network (10.x.x.x?)
and allow the "private" side to dole out IPs via DHCP (192.168.0.x).

It is easier to separate the K12LTSP network.  If you can isolate the K12LTSP
from the rest of the network, do so.

This is how I do it and it works very well for us.

Quoting "Yancey B. Jones" <ybjones at one.net>:

> > Do your switches support 802.1Q VLANs and VLAN advertisement (VTP or
> > GVRP)? If so, then you might consider using port-based VLANs
> > with your
> > K12LTSP setup.
>
> They do not. My initial thought is that I have enough bandwidth capability
> -
> however, I do not know what kind of a load that I will experience at any
> given time. I can always separate them later since I ran two uplink cables
> from the server room to each closet.
>
> -Yancey

Jim Hays
Technology Director