[K12OSN] *sigh* FC2 issues

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Aug 22 00:36:58 UTC 2004

Yes, the Fedora version of the Linux kernel is quite severely tweaked.
This is in line with both the experimental nature of Fedora itself and
the fact that RHEL has a very severely tweaked 2.4 kernel.  Someone on
the list named Mella, who was experiencing SMP problems, said earlier on
the list that she D/L'd the official Linus kernel and compiled it, and
her SMP problems went away.

Personally, I still use K12LTSP 2.1.2 in my school, and I run 3.1.2 at
home (yes, both have their patches).  So far, so good.  The reason I
stay with these "old" versions is that they work and people are happy
with them.  Nobody's pointing a gun to anybody's head to run Fedora if
they don't wish to; it's a choice that the individual sysadmin needs to
make.

That said, Eric does need testers, so those of us with a spare server
(my spare just went into production last month), and the time, should
indeed test it.

--TP