[K12OSN] LTSP on same network as Windows

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Aug 22 19:18:21 UTC 2004

Agreed.

The problem here is when some teacher wants to use an application like
TuxType or TuxMath, and we get to seeing that 73Mb of used bandwidth per
workstation (my analysis results are in the archives--mid to late
January 2004, I think).  I agree that, for apps like OO.o and Web
surfing, even 10Mb half-duplex is usable; I do this on old PMacs with
KDE.  However, anything that does a lot of screen updates is going to be
brutal on 10Mb, possibly even unusable.

Let's see...you're instructing fifteen 3rd or 4th graders with TuxType,
times 73Mb/sec BW usage.  That comes to 1,095Mb/sec, or just over 1Gb.
Now I've got to remember that my computer labs have 25 or more stations
in them.  Yikes!

As always, it depends on your application.  In high schools, I don't see
this issue mattering as much, more like a business.  In elementary
schools and some middle schools, though, it could.

--TP