[K12OSN] *sigh* FC2 issues

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Sun Aug 22 20:23:50 UTC 2004

for about $500 bucks I built out my 'pilot lab' server...
it was a KT4V motherboard with an AMD 2000+ CPU and 1.5 gigs of RAM..
a 40 gig ide HD...and an intel 10/100 pro nic for eth0...
It handled 20 stations FINE with absolutely no problems(after I
configured the printer properly =),
and that was with Gnome...(mind you I had to remove access to many of
the bandwidth intensive programs)
but for Web research and Word Processing...it hummed along quite nicely!

then I got $3500 to build out my "Student Server" and bought dual xeon 3
ghz...4 gig of ram   4-36gig scsi hd's and an intel raid controller
...I don't regret spending that much...but if I didn't have it I would
merely have built out 2 of the $500 boxes and put them in the ltsp labs...

Also...I likely would have asked individuals if they would sponsor 1
piece of hardware...a CPU here...a stick of RAM there...a case over there...
maybe a Hard Drive or two...and all of a sudden you have a nice nifty
server! =)

--Huck