[K12OSN] *sigh* FC2 issues

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Aug 22 23:09:38 UTC 2004

Gavin Henry wrote:

>On Sunday 22 Aug 2004 16:07, David Trask wrote:
>

>>"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
>>
>>writes:
>>

>>>Are you confusing kernels here? They are one and the same, both "Linux
>>>kernels", but one is compiled to RH FC2 standards and one would be done
>>>by
>>>hand. What features of the Fedora compiled kernel are lacking?
>>>

>>It was not a typo....I said "Linus kernel" not Linux kernel.  Thus what we
>>were talking about earlier in the thread is using the "unaltered" kernel
>>in it's "virgin" form rather than the altered Redhat one.
>>

>So my questin still stands:
>
>What features of the Fedora compiled kernel are lacking?

Several things.  For example, the Fedora kernel has the NPTL patch, and
I don't believe that Linus's kernel does.  I'm not absolutely certain,
but I think that the Fedora Core 1 kernel also has a patch, backported
from Linus's 2.6 kernel, to see 8GB instead of just 4GB; RHEL AS 3.0's
kernel definitely has this.  FC2, which uses the 2.6 kernel, has the
SELinux patches put in.  I'm sure that a little Googling will get you
that information.

None of these are really necessary in the vast majority of cases, since
I don't know of very many K12LTSP servers that have more than 4GB DRAM.
NPTL isn't, I've found, that big a deal at all for good performance on
LTSP; I'm not sure if it even helps at all.

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>
Tired of spam? With Mozilla Thunderbird
<http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird>, you have the best spam protection