[K12OSN] Printing using Samba

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 14:05:03 UTC 2004

Pat,
I have this same setup, and discovered last weekend that the startup sequence for CUPS and Samba is very important (at least on K12LTSP 3.1.x).  Cups needs to start before Samba.  Otherwise, it seems that Samba doesn't see all the printers that Cups is providing.  I had to change my startup sequence in the rc5 directory. I did this by simply changing cups from S90Cups to S34Cups.  Samba is S35Samba.  This seems to work for me. Prior to this change, printers did not consistently show up in the browse list on Windows.
There are a couple of setting in the smb.conf file that need to be changed.  Be sure that printing = cups is defined. Also, you will need either printcap name = cups or printcap name = /etc/printcap .  For some reason, printcap name = cups doesn't work for me, but the second (and supposedly incorrect approach) does.
Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins