[K12OSN] NX compression?

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at andaluciajunta.es
Tue Aug 24 20:59:45 UTC 2004

> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 10:55, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Is anyone following NX technology for compressing X, rdp and
> > VNC traffic?  It sounds like a free version is on the way.  At
> > least something called freeNX is included in the latest (8/16)
> > Knoppix distribution.  I haven't tried it yet but is sounds like
> > something that might make those centralized servers that people
> > keep talking about more practical - or old 10Mb network equipment.

Yeah, I've been following that technology. It's astonishing!! Actually, NX is
already GPLed - the only part that is not GPL is the graphical wizzards that
they provide et all. And is becuase of that why in Knoppix 3.6 they use it,
because it's GPL.

FreeNX is a free implementation of the propietary and non-free part of the NX
technology. I've just noticed that there's already a beta [1] released
_yesterday_!

I think that there would be a good idea to ship it with next K12LTSP version.
BTW, KDE fellows are also working in another similar frontend called knx
called  to integrate NX in the desktop in the same way VNC already does with
krdc, thought I don't know if it's development has stopped or what has
happened with that initiative.

El Martes, 24 de Agosto de 2004 21:18, Quentin Hartman escribió:
> I've played with the NX stuff a little bit (maybe 30 minutes) and it
> seems pretty darn cool. It is a _lot_ faster and smoother than VNC. I
> certainly think it is something to watch.

If you want more toys to play, then hazard you to freenx and then told how was
the expierience. Maybe you could even write a document about how to configure
NX for LTSP ? :-P.

Cheers,
       Edulix.

[1] http://kalyxo.freedesktop.org//bin/view/Main/WebHome