[K12OSN] Chinese fonts (again)

Kristin Shoemaker kshoemaker at maldenpubliclibrary.org
Wed Aug 25 21:50:32 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I posted this earlier and got no responses, so either I've got you stumped or I've been forgotten (posting on a weekend couldn't have helped).

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I would like the option, when logging in to ANY computer or ANY user account, of being able to pick three languages... Chinese simplified, traditional, or English. I want English to be the default. Currently when I try this by selecting Chinese in the pull down menu at login, it gives me some bizarre characters that aren't Chinese.

I don't particularly want the input system to be chinese... Just the browser and the desktop.

I have looked at some how tos and rpms, but honestly, I'm not all sure that they're what I want. Is there a way I can get this all to peacefully coexist on my X server? Is there more to it than just installing the correct fonts?

thanks
Kristin

Kristin Shoemaker
Reference/Systems Librarian