[K12OSN] Netatalk Problems

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Aug 26 01:34:16 UTC 2004

I remember someone on the list telling me that the only major problem
they had with Netatalk was with the shares getting stupid periodically
due to corrupt .AppleDB files.

The reason I bring this up is that we were going to train in the staff
today on how to access their new Linux shares via the Macintosh clients,
but when I went to demonstrate the machines locked up immediately after
authentication (just saw a shadow of the window to come that is supposed
to list the shares available for mounting).  I was wondering if this is
typical what you were experiencing when the files corrupted.

Anyhow thanks to the wonderful heads up I remembered this and deleted
the .AppleDB files and all was well.  So does anyone have a script I can
run as cron that will search for the .AppleDB files and delete them
periodically?  Maybe this would be a preventative measure.

Also I have set the options of noadouble in AppleVolumes.conf in hopes
that will help, any problems with that?  I can't wait until next year
when the new wave of iMacs comes in with OSX so we can just use SMB and
eliminate Appletalk all together.....wait...don't start the new email
yet :-)  We had a lease program here in the past (that I wasn't fond
of), so when the lease is up next summer those 300 computers will come
back to the school (as in free computers).  But I will work towards
making them thin clients for linux in the future.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
507-453-5188