[K12OSN] OT - how to clear squid ip cache? - resolution

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Thu Aug 26 13:28:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 15:47, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
>
> > OK, Folks. I tried Eric's suggestion to no avail (of course I cleaned
> > history and local cache). I tried than to recreate the cache files on the
> > squid server. I went further than recreating - I removed the old ones
> > first. All to no avail. Mozilla still goes to the old address of the test
> > site. And yes. I know it is squid, because when i remove redirection on
> > the k12 server, the browsers go to the correct site. Any ideas? julius
>
> On the squid server, or wherever /etc/resolv.conf points it's DNS
> resolution, restart named to clear the DNS cache.  If it is
> RH/fedora, use 'service named restart'.  The length of time a
> DNS address can be cached is set in the originating zone file.
> When someone is planning to change an address they should tune
> down the time-to-live ahead of time.  If your resolv.conf points
> to more than one resolver, be sure they are all restarted to
> flush the cache.  Nslookup or dig on the squid box will tell you
> where it will go.

OK, Folks, as usual stupidity rules. The problem was caused by an old
entry in /etc/hosts file on the squid server. squid is local to the
server, so it doesn't have to hit named for the name resolution, it
actually uses /etc/hosts first. the overall result was that the dig
command on the server and on the client machines was showing the right
address, but the actual access was going to the old, wrong address. I am
embarassed, but I did get something out of it - I now can clean out the
squid cache. Thank you all. julius