[K12OSN] winbind/gdm issues

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Fri Aug 27 18:19:47 UTC 2004

I'm bringing my k12ltsp 4.1 server online, and I've come up with an
username case issue.  Most, if not all of my user accounts on my server
are like this case wise: HBurroughs.  Has anyone found a way to force
gdm/winbind to only allow the lowercase logins, because it plays havoc
with home directories: (ie /home/hburroughs is different from
/home/HBurroughs).  Not only that, it won't let me login at all with an
all lowercase username.  I am also using pam_mkhomdir.

Next, concerning winbind, you can set say the home directory to be:
/home/%d/%u where %d is the domain, and %u is the username.  When I try
to set it up as /home/%g/%u, the user directory turns up actually as
/home/10000/HBurroughs where 10000 is the GID of the default group of
the user.  Is there any way to have it actually be the group name (ie:
Faculty, Students, etc).

Thanks!

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director