[K12OSN] I need an automatic relogin script

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Fri Aug 27 22:51:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 17:36 -0500, Tim Litwiller wrote:
> I need some king of monitoring script for mozilla/firefox  that if the
> user closes the program the terminal will logout.
>
> Is this possible?

This has been addressed before, I believe (check the archives linked at
the bottom), but the short answer is "yes".  The long answer (how to
accomplish it) depends on a lot of other variables like whether you want
the users to be able to run other applications, etc.

The quick-and-dirty answer is: X will exit (and gdm will respawn) when
the script that launched the session does.  If you look in
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions you'll see a bunch of executable scripts.  These
are the files that gdm launches when a user logs in.  When that script
"returns", the terminal is logged out.

Most of those files simply "exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession <sessionname>".
Most of the actual session logic is in that script so you can, without
changing anything, make any of the sessions "mozilla-dependent" by
changing them to:

/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession <sessionname>&
exec /usr/bin/mozilla

When the user exits mozilla, the session exits and they are logged out.

Not the most elegant solution, but it will work.
--
Shahms E. King <shahms at shahms.com>
Multnomah ESD

Public Key:
http://shahms.mesd.k12.or.us/~sking/shahms.asc
Fingerprint:
1612 054B CE92 8770 F1EA  AB1B FEAB 3636 45B2 D75B