[K12OSN] Searching for server (DHCP)

Timothy Legge tlegge at rogers.com
Sat Aug 28 01:48:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 22:23, Debbie Schiel wrote:
> and did a search on google for the PXE-E52 error
> and got http://riv-mail.mesd.k12.or.us/mailarchives/k12ltspdig/306.html
> where the writer says: "What version of pxe does
> your client have? I've had success with 2.0 but not with .99."
>
> My client has .99

Yes, I have not had luck with 0.99.  Typically you can get an update to
load onto the card.  If it is the bios pxe, upgrading  the bios will
normally upgrade pxe.

> Etherboot 5.0.1
> found VIA 6102 at 0xE800, ROM address 0x0000
> probing... [VIA 86C100 lrhine.c  V1.0.0 2000-01-07
> IO address E800 Ethernet Address: 0x00:0x0E:0XA6:0X65:0XE2:0X29
> Analyzing media type, this will take several seconds... ok
> Linespeed=100Mbs Fullduplex
> Searching for server (DHCP)...

Etherboot 5.0 is extraordinarily old.  Please go to romomatic.net and
download the latest release.

> ARG!!!!
> ok so it is not a problem with the client, yes?
> I am going to try buy a new switch and a new network card to cancel out
> those two as possible problems.
> I know it shouldn't be this difficult... I think I must be missing something
> very obvious... So I will keep on until I get it right!

The age of the boot code may be your issue.  Update it and let me know
your results.

Tim