[K12OSN] *EARLY* Alpha of K12LTSP 3.2

Andrew adfour at mtaonline.net
Sat Aug 28 07:20:13 UTC 2004

But this is exactly the point for many of us....
I am not running a media lab, or making heavy use of removeable media,
or even scsi emulation. New "Features" that might be handy there (though
I suspect redhat of having their
business nearest and dearest to their hearts when they introduce a new
feature, not part of a linus kernel release)  have a nasty tendency to
make previously happy software kinda unhappy.  I love playing with new
toys on my time,  But when every instance of  oowriter crashes on a room
full of students mid-paper  I tend to regret whatever shiny new thing I
introduced that caused it.   I would tend to think that more hardware
can be made to work reliably with whitebox than with fedora--for no
reason than by checking on what redhat does and does not support....( I
know--they don't actually support whitebox, but you get my drift).  I
dunno,. Are we all clear on what Fedora is? It is redhat's test bed for
new features. Those that check out get into enterprise (eventually) See
their site, they'll you tell so. The idea that the "fix" for the feature
is in a kernel patch is ingenuous. The "fix" is stable when it is in
RHEL, Debian stable and maybe testing, and probably whatever
commercially suported version of suse is put out by Novell. If no one is
calling it stable or supporting it..it isn't proven to be stable and is
still "testing" and thus not "stable" however well it seems to work on
some systems. This is usually moot on stuff that is actually released,
but worth bearing in mind when your newest fedora update or refresh of
your sid system generates a blank screen and tells you some vital system
component isn't there anymore.  Tell me would you book a flight for your
family across the pacific on a prototype jet? They usually fly pretty
well......    If fedora is working for you, That's great. I hope it
stays that way through all the projected tri-annual updates. ( deos
anyone get the sense that I'm somehow bitter about fedora? <G>)

I am really impressed that eric went out of his way to do this, and I
think it will see a surprising amount of use. It has certainly made me
reconsider a move to debian for my ltsp server.
-AF