[K12OSN] *EARLY* Alpha of K12LTSP 3.2

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Sat Aug 28 17:14:12 UTC 2004

First it's great that Eric is going to release the WBEL/RHEL version of
K12LTSP!  Very cool!

Now to the discussion.  Weird hardware is weird hardware...sometimes it
works and other times it won't.  Weird hardware is not a good choice for a
high need, high availability server environment...always go with tried and
true stuff.  If we all used "stable stuff" the distro would never progress
would it?  No one would test new things.  Or the new things would never
get tested in a large enough environment to make any distinct decisions as
to whether or not something is a bug.  I don't need the most stable
version....since I have a Samba-LDAP server where all my users and home
dirs live...blowing away my K12LTSP box is a minor inconvenience.
Also...in a production environment it's not a bad idea to have an
"experiment server"  that you csn drop in as a replacement should the need
arise.  I'm going to use K12LTSP 4.1 based on FC2 as I've had no
show-stopping problems at all with it.  YMMV  If you must have rock-solid
stabilty...use the older versions or the WBEL version....also
remember...NO ONE is MAKING you upgrade.  I ran 3.12 all year last
year....it worked great.  I wrestled with the decision to go with 4.01 or
4.1....I chose 4.1 as I love the new features and want to give it an
honest test.  I'll probably stick with it all year unless something really
cool comes out.  No need to screw things up mid-year....remember..if it
ain't broke....leave it alone until you can upgrade safely (like summer).

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us