[K12OSN] 'who' lies about users...

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Sun Aug 29 00:42:09 UTC 2004

Trond,

the 'who' command relies on entries in the utmp and wtmp files.

It's usually up to the display manager (GDM,XDM,KDM) to add the entries
to the utmp files, and remove the entries when you log out.  Over the
years various display managers have been setup correctly or incorrectly
to do that.  It varies alot by distribution, version and display
manager.

Take a look at the ltsp.org contrib page, Derek Dresser wrote an article
about how to set up the session scripts to keep the utmp files updated.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org