[K12OSN] Too Many Open Files

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon Aug 30 16:55:24 UTC 2004

I'm not worried about the bittorrent client itself -- it was just a tool
that SHOWED me there was a problem.  When 70 more users come in tomorrow
to use use their thin clients, I'm sure they'll open more files than my
azureus client -- even it I *am* download an entire season of MacGyver. ;)

-Shawn

BTW, so far so good -- no more errors...

Huck said:
> can you not tweak your bittorrent client to reduce the number of files
> it tries to open?
> Those two windows bittorrent clients you sent me links for had that as
> an option...
>
> --Huck
>

> Shawn Powers wrote:
>
>>I always hate asking questions of the list when I'm so far behind (395
>>unread messages.. it's been a rough few weeks) -- but school is about to
>>start, and I'm getting a very scary message...
>>
>>When I am running azureus (a java bittorrent client) -- I am getting
>>errors that there are too many open files.  I remember this being an
>> issue
>>a while back, so I searched the archives, and came across the
>> instructions
>>to edit /etc/sysctrl.conf -- BUT my default (4.0.1) installation already
>>has fs.file-max = 65536 at the bottom!!!
>>
>>Then, I got to thinking... perhaps I should check my NFS /home server,
>>which is running WBEL 3.0 -- I checked, and sure enough, there was no
>>mention of fs.file-max in the /etc/sysctl.conf file.  I added it, ran
>>sysctl -p, and I'm waiting to see.
>>
>>My question, might that have solved the problem?  It's a tough thing to
>>"test" because it's difficult to open 65,000 files at will... ;)  Would
>>the file handles on my NFS server cause errors in applications on my LTSP
>>server?
>>
>>Thanks for any input,
>>-Shawn

Shawn Powers
Technology Director
Inland Lakes Schools
PHN: 231-238-6868 x9174
FAX: 509-356-7024
spowers at inlandlakes.org
http://techcorner.inlandlakes.org

The views, opinions, visions, thoughts, comments, sarcastic whims,
forecasts, poetic outbursts, cynical wit, future plans, implementation
ideas, OS preference, curricular insight, ice cream preference, or
anything else I might infer are not the views of Inland Lakes Schools.
Pretty much everything I say, do, think, or imply with punctuation should
be considered my own delusions, and ignored completely.